Visa & Passports
European Union citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Germany, but most carriers by air or sea require some form of identification with photograph (usually either a passport or National Identity Card). Visitors are advised to check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, tour operator or travel agent before travelling.
Visitors from other countries do require a passport, and it is wise to check with your travel operator whether your originating country requires a visa. Please contact us if you require a letter of invitation for a visa application.
Travelling by Plane
The Federal City of Bonn is linked to the wide world by three international airports: Cologne/Bonn, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt. Cologne/Bonn Airport is only 35 kilometres from Bonn with easy access by taxi or bus (Airport Bus). This bus shuttles every 20 to 30 minutes between the Airport and downtown Bonn. One ride takes approx. 30 minutes.
Arriving at Frankfurt International:
You will have direct access to the long distance trains (Fernverkehrt) at Frankfurt Aiport. It’s a 10min walk from Terminal one. And there is a travel center to buy tickets. The symbol for Deutsche Bahn is
If you buy a ticket it might be faster to choose Siegburg/Bonn as destination. Then you’ll have a fast train which takes between 40 and 50 minutes. At the station in Siegburg/Bonn you can change to a suburban train / tram to Bonn Central Station ( Tram Line 66, direction Bad Honnef or Ramersdorf, duration 25 min, price Euro 4,60).
The whole trip will take you 1hr10. If you choose Bonn as destination from Frankfurt Airport you will have to change at Cologne Central Station and then return to Bonn. The trip will take you about 1hr40.
You can try to check connections and/or book your ticket here
Arriving at airport Cologne/Bonn:
- There’s an Aiport Shuttle / Bus that takes you to Bonn Central Station. The bus takes about 30 min (Ticket price Euro 6,90). Airport bus No SB 60 to ‘Hauptbahnhof’ (Bonn Central station).
- Take underground/tram No 16 or 63, direction to Bad Godesberg
- Leave at “Max-Löbner-Strasse”
- Walk down “Max-Löbner-Strasse” to the end
Travelling by Rail
Bonn is easily reached by rail. Its Central Station is connected to the network of ICE/IC/EC trains. Suburban railway line 66 links Bonn to the stop at Siegburg of the ICE line Frankfurt – Cologne.
Between Bonn Central Station and Bonn-Bad Godesberg underground trains commute every 7 minutes
- From Bonn central-station: take underground/tram No 16 or 63, direction Bad Godesberg
- leave at “Max-Löbner-Strasse”
- walk down “Max-Löbner-Strasse” to the end
> see map for the route from underground stop ‘Max-Löbner-Straße’ to GSI (tram No 16 and 63).
From Bonn central-station:
Please take underground/tram No 16 or 63, direction Bad Godesberg
leave tram at “Max-Löbner-Straße”
- walk down Max-Löbner-Strasse (opposite side of the Aral petrol station) to the end.
From ICE-Station Siegburg/Bonn:
Underground/tram No 66, direction Bonn/Bad Honnef
leave at tram stop “Robert-Schuman-Platz”
- Kurt-Georg-Kiesinger-Allee, turn left to Jean-Monet-Straße, turn left to Heinemann-Straße
Travelling by Car
Coming from North of Bonn:
- A3 until motorway junction Bonn/Siegburg
- A560, direction Bonn until motorway junction St. Augustin
- A59, direction Bonn-Bad Godesberg until motorway junction
Bonn-Ost (exit number 42)
- A562 until exit Rheinaue, then turn left, next traffic light: turn right into Heinemann Strasse
- 100 m after the traffic light please make a u-turn (left),
GSI-parking after 100 m on the righthand side of the street
Coming from South of Bonn:
A61, until motorway junction Meckenheim
A565, direction Bonn
exit Bonn-Poppelsdorf, direction Bad Godesberg (B9)
- At crossing Heinemann-Strasse turn right into Winkelsweg, after 50 m make u-turn, cross B9, after 200 m turn right into “Langer Grabenweg”: GSI after 50 m on your lefthand side